Mathushek

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 08:38:24 -0500

Paul,

At 07:57 06/05/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Square Grand Techs and curious lurkers:

>  The same thing happened.  Hmmm.  I tried depressing one
>key all the way.  It returned and then felt fine.

I suspect that the damper wires are dropping down too far.  There are
probably two dowel sections on the top of the wire. One which actually
lifts the damper and the lower one to limit the "drop".

Perhaps the wires are just dragging on the ends of the keys and popping
into place when you play them once.

Have mice eaten the felt on the bottom of the lower dowel, allowing the
wires to drop just a little too far? The damper pedal has no effect on
those wires, it just lifts the damper tray.

The dowel might have been adjusted to compensate for a very deep dimple in
the damper lift felt, or damper felt compaction and/or damper lift tray
warpage.  Is there a lot of lost motion to the damper lift?

>  BTW the action is quite interesting: no wippens, just the
>jacks mounted to a rocker capstan attached to the key.  The let off buttons
>are through the hammer rest rail, back checks are very short and on the key.

Typical single escapement square action.

Good luck!

conrad

Conrad Hoffsommer - mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu
Decorah, IA - Designing and testing virtual flamesuits since 1993.