It really needs it

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:57:05 EDT

cedel@supernet.com writes:

> So how can this client, who is far from professional, think the
> piano "really needs it" when it is quite close?
>
> I have several theories.  (1)  It sounded really bad six months ago when the
> humidity level threw it out of whack, and the client doesn't know that a
> piano can actually sound better as the humidity level approaches the level
> at
> which it was last tuned.  (2)  They are trying to justify in their own minds
> shelling out those bucks for the annual tuning.  (3)  They want to keep me
> on
> my toes.
>
> Has anyone else run into this?  Any other theories?
>
> Regards,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT

Clyde

I think it is probably a combination of all three. But, unless we sit down
and really play the piano for minutes, we won't hear all the unisons, or
intervals, that aren't just right. A player doesn't have to be very good to
recognize slight imperfections.

I have had customers say the same thing, and found the piano to be in the
same condition as you say. And when I play just a few chords, I don't hear
the piano to be that much out of tune. But in the process of tuning, there
are numerous strings I have to adjust. So the customer must know a little
more than what we give him/her credit for.

Wim