Belarus

Roy Ulrich ulrich@rangenet.com
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 16:35:50 -0500

I looked at and attempted to tune a new "Shubert" studio and immediately =
identified it as a Belarus product. The dealer did not offer a free =
"warranty tuning" as is otherwise customary in this area. He did however =
indicate to the customer prior to getting their check, that it was =
indeed a Belarus product; that they had some problems in the past; those =
problems had been corrected; etc.

Before finishing the temperament I discovered that this instrument will =
not hold a tune!

The dealer is sending another tech to try to "fix" the problem and =
hinted that there is a procedure to tighten the pins with a chemical =
solution, i.e. he's apparently suggesting doping the block. I think =
that's preposterous and that the dealer should either replace the =
instrument or refund the money - that doping a new piano is absurd.

It may help you to know that this "dealer" used to have a store, has =
never negotiated a price for warranty tunings, and in the past, had =
offered the unsuspecting customer a certificate up to an amount that =
never came close to covering the tuning and mileage. The past couple of =
years he's selling "Shubert's" out of his store basement while renting =
out the upstairs to someone else with an unrelated product.=20

I've been tuning and restoring for 17 years and never had a situation =
like this come up. Your thoughts will in all probability be greatly =
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

Roy Ulrich