It really needs it

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:51:24 +0200

Clyde,,, I think that this varies from customer to customer... but one reason I
am pretty sure this happens is the human ego. We like to appear knowledgeable
if you get my meaning. Hits us all, all the time without we being able to catch
ourselves at it half the time.

A piano owner, has in spite of everything, at least some vauge understanding of
the fact that a piano should be relatively out of tune after a years time. They
also most often are aware that a pianotuners hearing is much more keen at
listening for that out of tuneness. I think often enough the answer to your
question is that its a combination of these that makes the customer make such
pronouncements.

Course then you always have the once in a while customer who simply hears
really well that the instrument is out of tune... fairly clean unisons not
withstanding. What amazes me with THESE types is how often you also hear..."its
good enough" from them.... depending often on pocket book considerations
like...  whose pocket book... how much there is in it... and ... do I get to
keep any of it if I get the tuner out fast.... :)

But like I say... I dont think there is just one answer to your question

RicB

 Clyde Hollinger wrote:

>Friends,
>
>This current conversation brings to mind something I've often wondered
>about.  Sometimes when I arrive to give a piano its annual tuning the
>client
>will say, "It really needs it!"  Then I find that none of the unisons or
>intervals sound bad at all.  There are no real tone or regulation problems,
>either.  So how can this client, who is far from professional, think the
>piano "really needs it" when it is quite close?
>
>Regards,
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA, USA

Richard Brekne