etd tunings

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:23:17 -0400

Comments below

  ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:35 AM
    Subject: Re: etd tunings

    In a message dated 6/5/02 8:07:03 AM Central Daylight Time, =
lesbart1@juno.com (Leslie W Bartlett) writes:=20

    If, on the one hand, this fellow is such a high falootin' musically =
superior professional, what the heck is he doing trying to tune a piano =
which is 1/2 step low?  That is a *seriously* substandard state for a =
piano to be found in.  The first question I'd be asking is *why* is it =
so low?  Someone mentioned that raising the pitch 100 cents would add =
about a ton or so.  Actually, it is more like 4 tons!  Who in his right =
mind could ever claim that he just went in and *hot dogged* a piano up =
100 cents and it stayed in tune perfectly for an entire year?  Sheeesh!=20

    I haven't seen one opinion yet that says this is possible.  The =
consensus seem to be that this is a highly inflated claim.=20

    Bill Bremmer RPT=20
    Madison, Wisconsin=20
    Click here: -=3Dw w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =3D-=20
    =20
    I'm with you on this one, Bill.  I think "perfectly in tune for one =
year" is an extremely vague and confusing term to use with this =
situation. Perfect to many tuners has different conotations.=20
    Sure if you could continually play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in =
the key of C and octaves and unisons remains somewhat  in the ball park =
for a year I can see how some would classified that as staying perfectly =
in tune. Those who do concert tunings and understand stability, view the =
term perfect in a entirely different category. In these situations the =
pianos are already stable but when the slightess inflection of heat  or =
humidity change, a stable piano can begin to drift.
     The reality is (and regardless of any one 's technique) physics, =
tension disbursement, and above all scale design rule in extreme pitch =
raise situations. Once a tremendous amt. of load is added to the board =
it is rediculous to assume that nothing in the tension department is =
going to remain in absolute stable condition. As a rule, it ain't going =
to happen.=20
    Tom Servninsky,RPT