piano refinishing

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 09:47:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/4/02 9:47:13 PM Central Daylight Time, Bigeartb@AOL.COM
writes:

> No, refinishing does not belong on the same page as tuning or technical
> work. But refinishing or just  knowing how to remove dents, nicks, or

Since I was the first to state that I don't think articles on refinishing
should be in the Journal, let me also point out that I clearly stated that I
realize there are piano technicians who also refinish pianos. I agree that
knowing how to refinish pianos is part of the total package of rebuilding a
piano,a nd thus of the piano trade. But, as Jon Page pointed out, so is being
an accountant, and secretary, etc. Again, I agree. BUT, although there have
been some articles written on how to sell a business, how to more efficiently
keep track of your income, etc., what we don't have are articles on
accounting priciples, or secretarial skills. We need our car, but we don't
have articles on how to replace spark plugs, or realign the front end. We use
the telephone and computers, but we don't have articles on telephone repair,
or computer programming.

That is the point I was trying to make. We are piano technicians. The other
aspects of our business are important, but there are professional magazines
devoted specifically to those aspect of our work. If someone is interested in
knowing more about those topics, they should subscribe to the magazines
devoted to them.

Wim