Belarus

Mike Kurta mkurta@adelphia.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 07:29:45 -0400

    I'll second that motion.  I was called to look at a sticking key on =
a new Shubert.  The problem involved the muffler strip interfering with =
the hammer on one note.  The strip was incorrectly engineered and =
positioned, and in desperation I finally reversed it out of the way =
entirely.  In working on the instrument, it was obvious that cabinetry =
though looking good outwardly, (nice high gloss finish) was very poorly =
put together.  The side (end) vertical panels were so loose one could =
move them in and out 1/2 inch!  The keyslip was misaligned and loose (no =
apparent way to tighten it) the piano was literally falling apart before =
it began its life.  Someone needs to pull up their socks!  Mike Kurta, =
RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: J Patrick Draine=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Cc: J Patrick Draine=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2002 9:43 PM
  Subject: Re: Belarus

  On Wednesday, June 5, 2002, at 05:35 PM, Roy Ulrich wrote:

    I looked at and attempted to tune a new "Shubert" studio and =
immediately identified it as a Belarus product.=20

    I've been tuning and restoring for 17 years and never had a =
situation like this come up. Your thoughts will in all probability be =
greatly appreciated.=20

  Advice? "Run like hell" away from this piano? Does your state have =
good consumer protection laws ("lemon laws" etc)? Give them the phone =
number of a good attorney?

  Patrick Draine