piano refinishing

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 18:27:51 EDT

dm.porritt@verizon.net writes:

> Wim:
>
> Maybe the paucity of information in the Journal on refinishing pianos
> is why you didn't do well when you tried it.
>
> dave

I gave up refinishing about 3 years after I learned how to do it, (which was
about 4 years after I started in this business).  I don't think reading
articles on how to do it in the Journal would have helped. I found the work
to be hard and dirty, and I could never get the results I was looking for.
And just like moving pianos, (which I also know how to do, but very seldom
do), I found there are people out there who enjoy refinishing pianos, and are
able to do a much better job.

After thinking about it, I am changing my mind. I think some articles on
refinishing might be extremely helpful, if for no other reason, to encourage
piano tuners to stay away from this kind of work. I have a great amount of
respect for those who are able to do it, and if a piano tuners has the
inclination, and wants to take the time to learn to do it, then by all means.
But if any one ever asks me, I would encourage them to find someone who knows
how to refinish, and teach them the intricacies of piano work. In the long
run, it will financially be much more rewarding. (not to mention health
wise).

Again, just my 2.5 cents worth.

Wim