Water-Base Laquer

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:02:34 EDT

In a message dated 06/06/02 8:42:04 AM, grandrestorations@yahoo.com writes:

<< I've been using a water based grain filler and I
don't like it at all.  I've tried the recommended
application techniques of both the manufacturer
and the seller and still don't like the results. >>

Brian;
 Have you tried two thin applications rather than one thick one?
Like Jon I use a scraper/trowel/putty knife for most of the removal and a rag
for finishing up.
What I do.......(assuming any repair needed has been done)
1. sand part to be filled.
2. clean part to be filled...wipe it with a cloth and blow/vacuum it to
remove all sanding dust.
3. a light mist coat of sealer (as Jon suggested) this reduces drag and
unwanted absorption on the non grain areas.
4. Immediately before troweling on the filler wipe down the part with a
'damp' rag not wet, just 'damp'....(seems to help the filler get in the grain
and keeps it from drying too fast)
5. trowel on filler..... both with and against the grain.
6. clean off excess and allow part to dry for a short while .....15/20 minutes
7. apply second filling, allow to dry several hours.
8. sand off surface of part to remove any excess surface filler.
9. continue with your staining or whatever your next step is....

I have found that this works well for me and gives me a consistently nice
surface for the finish........your mileage may vary...
Jim Bryant (FL)