Water-Base Laquer

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 09:24:53 -0400

At 09:02 AM 6/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>In a message dated 06/06/02 8:42:04 AM, grandrestorations@yahoo.com writes:
>
>5. trowel on filler..... both with and against the grain.
>6. clean off excess and allow part to dry for a short while .....15/20 minutes
>7. apply second filling, allow to dry several hours.
>8. sand off surface of part to remove any excess surface filler.
>9. continue with your staining or whatever your next step is....
>
>I have found that this works well for me and gives me a consistently nice
>surface for the finish........your mileage may vary...
>Jim Bryant (FL)

This is a method I've used also. By the time you've filled the entire
piano, you can start at the beginning
because there was sufficient dry time since you started. This might be
considered as a two-stage first fill.

On certain porous woods; a third, thinned down application helps.

Filler viscosity is important.  A thick paste is difficult if not
impossible to get into the pores sufficiently.
Too thin of a filler will have too much shrinkage requiring multiple
applications.  When you get it right,
as Jim stated above, you can get a level surface with minimum effort.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com