Tuning Complaint - Help!

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:48:52 EDT

Terry,

This is a toughie.  She doesn't want to hear about mahogany soundboards,
spinet scaling, or any aspect of physics or acoustics.  She just wants her
piano to sound like it used to.  I "tuned" one of these at a nursery school
not long ago and had to explain to the lady who ran the place that it wasn't
a very good piano.

To revert to a recent thread, Whitneys ARE untunable.  Bottom of the heap.
Of course, you can't say that to an 80 year old lady who has for years
believed that it is the greatest instrument ever built.

You might try taking the Verituner along, show her the display and explain
that the machine doesn't lie.  If you take your wife along to play it, your
wife will probably say "this sounds horrible."  And it won't be your fault,
either.  It won't be flat, it will just sound like breaking glass.  You've
done all you could do.

Dave Stahl