Piano Refinishing

Cy Shuster charter1400@charter.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 09:27:04 -0500

May I suggest that perhaps there's an element of truth in both points of =
view?  Whether the topic is refinishing, moving, or accounting, there =
will be some body of knowledge which is general, and another part which =
is specific to piano technology.  Some topics don't seem to have much =
overlap: I don't read much about the special problems of brass-plating =
piano hardware, for example.  You just send the parts out, and get them =
back.  But my sense is that pianos require a quality level far above =
most woodwork, and have other issues such as protecting vital parts =
(please -- at least mask off the strings!).  Wouldn't it be possible and =
useful to write about these issues which are most often faced in =
refinishing pianos, assuming an audience of competent wood workers?  =
References can be made to basic techniques published elsewhere, to =
address Wim's issue of not repeating an existing body of knowledge.

Another useful way of dividing the material (which has already been =
suggested) would be the easier, more common tasks such as minor repairs, =
vs. stripping an entire case and changing its color.

--Cy Shuster, TSO--
Rochester, MN