Tuning Complaint - Help!

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:52:41 EDT

In a message dated 6/6/02 7:41:48 AM, Billbrpt@AOL.COM writes:

<< But it is *their* piano and I earn good money taking care of it and get
good
referrals from them.  It would certainly be counterproductive for me to say
what I really think about it.  I tune Kimball products fairly often and have
never had the low opinion of them many technicians seem to have.  Most of
them sound reasonably good and are very stable, long lasting instruments.  A
few of them even qualify as being above average in both looks and tone
quality. >>

Bill, Terry, et. al,

I agree that some Kimball products are indeed underrated: most are at the
least consistent and quite servicable.  That said, I have never tuned a piano
more disagreeable than a Whitney(which is actually a subspecies of Kimball).
On the last one I happened upon, it didn't matter WHAT the Tunelab said was
right, or where my ear tried to place the pitch.  I could never make the bass
strings next to the break sound "in tune" according to my ear.  Very
frustrating.

Dave Stahl