Piano Refinishing

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 12:56:06 -0400

In a message dated Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:53:55 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "Cy Shuster" <charter1400@charter.net> writes:

>May I suggest that perhaps there's an element of truth in both points of view?  Whether the topic is refinishing, moving, or accounting, there will be some body of knowledge which is general, and another part which is specific to piano technology.  Some topics don't seem to have much overlap: I don't read much about the special problems of brass-plating piano hardware, for example.  You just send the parts out, and get them back.  But my sense is that pianos require a quality level far above most woodwork, and have other issues such as protecting vital parts (please -- at least mask off the strings!).  Wouldn't it be possible and useful to write about these issues which are most often faced in refinishing pianos, assuming an audience of competent wood workers?  References can be made to basic techniques published elsewhere, to address Wim's issue of not repeating an existing body of knowledge.
>
>Another useful way of dividing the material (which has already been suggested) would be the easier, more common tasks such as minor repairs, vs. stripping an entire case and changing its color.
>
>--Cy Shuster, TSO--
>Rochester, MN

Good points, I do have a couple of comments though.  The actual basics of refinishing are relatively simple and in my view will not take up much valuable space in the Journal.  More importantly all of the details such as masking the strings etc. which are unique to the piano are more readily understood if you know the stripping, repairing, sanding, filling, staining, sealing, applying the finish and rubbing out procedures. The reasoning behind those details is the process and chemicals refinishing requires.  It is cause and effect.
I agree that dividing the material would be the most effective way to present it.

David Koelzer
Vintage Pianos
DFW