Piano Refinishing

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Thu, 06 Jun 2002 17:30:36 -0400

It might also be helpful to note in your article(s) what types of products
are compatible with others. For example, can I use a solvent based
dye/stain with a water based top coat? Many of these issues pop up I'm
sure. Additionally how many people knew that you can't use steel wool when
smoothing filler / stain/ dye before applying top coats that are water
based? Same goes for using bronzing powder with a water based clear
lacquer, unless of course you like a GREEN plate. Now if that's not
specific to pianos I don't know what is!

Greg Newell

>Good points, I do have a couple of comments though.  The actual basics of
>refinishing are relatively simple and in my view will not take up much
>valuable space in the Journal.  More importantly all of the details such
>as masking the strings etc. which are unique to the piano are more readily
>understood if you know the stripping, repairing, sanding, filling,
>staining, sealing, applying the finish and rubbing out procedures. The
>reasoning behind those details is the process and chemicals refinishing
>requires.  It is cause and effect.
>I agree that dividing the material would be the most effective way to
>present it.
>
>David Koelzer
>Vintage Pianos
>DFW