Tuning Complaint - Help!

J Patrick Draine draine@attbi.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 15:57:54 -0400

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 10:51 AM, Scott & Jason Jackson wrote:

> This has reminded me of visiting a lady many years ago ...

Wow, this is bringing back "old war stories" of difficult customers.
Compared to Terry's nice old lady, much greater stress. The one I'm
remembering had a K&C spinet, terribly flat & out of tune, which I
brought up to pitch. The lady spent most of the time hovering around,
drinking heavily and smoking like a chimney (and a TV blaring in the
background). I *tried* to explain A440 etc but didn't seem to make much
of an impression. She seemed pleased with the results but called back in
a couple months informing me that her nephew had played the piano the
previous day and he informed her that I had *ruined* the piano by my
tuning. She was ranting about over the phone so intensely that attempts
to explain about pitch raises etc were going no place fast & she was so
out of control that I wasn't about to go to her home to explain/custom
detune it to her nephew's specs etc. Whew! Goodbye! Deleted her from my
customer database!!

So, fifteen years later I get a call for a tuning. I go out, a pleasant
lady directs me to a very flat, very out of tune console, I explain
about pitch raising, and proceed to get to work. Somewhere along the
line she mentions that I had tuned a different piano for her long ago,
so she remembered to call me when she got another piano. I gradually
started recalling that I had been to this address before, and she did
look a bit familiar.
Uh-oh, I thought.
But she was very pleasant, and no alcohol or tobacco was obvious.
I think maybe the revolution in psycho-pharmacology  had something to do
with the improvement in the situation.

Patrick Draine