It was all my fault

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 19:25:41 -0700

    Wim, you've been working for the College Crowd way too long,,,,,, =
It's starting to rub off on you, methinks.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: caut@ptg.org ; Pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 12:15 PM
  Subject: It was all my fault

  As per my report of a couple of weeks ago, I need to admit that the =
vandalism to the Concert Hall Steinway was all my fault. After reviewing =
the facts, and speculating on what happened, there is only one =
conclusion. It was my lack of foresight that I forced someone one to =
destroy the piano.=20

  As far as we can piece the course of events together, this is what =
happened. High school students, fresh from a party celebrating =
graduation, jimmied some locks on the building doors, and entered the =
building in the early morning hours, (about 2 AM), looking for something =
to do. On the second floor they found a fire extinguisher, and, wanting =
to impress our faculty that they had artistic talent, used it to paint =
the upstairs boys bath room. They then somehow unlocked a drum practice =
room, and wanting to find out how loud an amplifier could go, turned it =
on, full volume. In order to let everyone in the building know how that =
sounds, they found the main electrical panel, and turned off the power =
to the 2nd floor. When our maintenance people arrived at 5;30, and =
turned on the power, they heard the effects.=20

  Before they left, these talented students found their way onto the =
stage of the concert hall, where, to their delight, found a piano, with =
it's lid up. Had I known these talented students wanted to play, I would =
have left the action in the piano. But since I had to do some work on, I =
removed it. Well, these poor kids. When they couldn't play the piano, =
they did the next best thing. Using the tuning hammer I left on the =
piano, they wanted to see what hitting a string with the tool would =
sound like. What they discovered was that hitting a string with a tuning =
hammer, breaks the string, creating a wonderful sound, like a gun shot. =
Of course, these talented musicians couldn't just hear one gun shot, =
they wanted to hear more. So they proceeded to hit the strings 12 more =
times. But some of them must not have had good aim, because they missed =
the strings, and hit about 10 dampers instead, and 2 tuning pins, =
braking two of them. Still not feeling satisfied, the broke the upstop =
ra! il in 4. And I guess since they had painted the bathroom, they =
decided to use the empty cavity as a urinal. To add insult to injury, =
they took my tuning lever. These kids wouldn't have created all this =
damage if I had only left the action in the piano. That is why I take =
full responsibility. It was all my fault.=20

  The only good that came from this, is that the school is getting a =
brand new D, and one of the piano faculty is getting the repaired =
concert grand.=20

  Wim=20