Cunningham?

Ken Jankura kenrpt@earthlink.net
Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:53:35 -0400

I rebuilt/reconditioned one early on in my technicianhood and found it =
to be about what you'd expect from an entry level 30's >5' grand. I've =
seen that classic W pattern in the lowest treble tuning pins on quite a =
few other brands since. This particular piano case was in very nice =
shape, so I restrung it (I wish I had known at that time about =
rescaling), made a few mistakes, a little money (not enough), and she's =
still taking lessons on it. In actuality, yours could be anything from =
junk to golden. If the hammers are passable and the pins aren't too =
loose, tune it as best you can, see if you can determine if you can =
improve the regulation without replacing lots of stuff, and recommend =
accordingly. Good luck.
Ken Jankura RPT
Fayetteville, PA
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: SUSAN P SWEARINGEN=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 8:04 PM
  Subject: Cunningham?

  Hi Everyone,

  I just got a call to come over and tune/inspect a Cunningham baby =
grand.  I'm relatively new to the business and haven't run across this =
name before.  The owner got it from someone free of charge.  I asked her =
how it sounded and she said she wasn't sure because she was tone deaf =
(this should be a real fun visit!)

  She did say it looked very old and she knew that it hadn't been tuned =
in years.  Anybody heard of this make?  Anything I should watch out for?

  Thanks,
  Corte Swearingen