ethical behavior

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 02:12:55 -0400

At 08:56 PM 6/6/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>Ah I see, Piano Tuning is one of the "dark arts",

More of a craft, as I see it; certainly not dark. The only dark portion
would be all the tuners
keeping their customers in the dark about alternative temperaments; their
own inability to
produce more than one temperament. Sure, it's a lot of work to produce
aurally but with the
advanced nature of ETD's it's a snap. And to not make use of one's expanded
capabilities
with modern equipment might just as well not use an ETD at all.

>"secrets" should be jealously guarded! No need to inform the client of

Then why guard ET so jealously?

>anything but the price--and the only reason to do that is because you wish
>to be paid. How silly of me to explain to my clients that their piano may
>sound better in a Historic temperament and offer them a choice.

Yes, that is a lose, lose situation. You'll never know 'til you try.
So far, all my customers whom I have offered something other than ET
have welcomed the idea and thanked me for opening that window. They
have gone so far as to recommend this tuning scheme to their friends,
or their friends have asked me to make their pianos sound like that one.

Will you next be professing that only Robertson screws should be used?
Mechanically, they are superior. I use them at every opportunity, especially
for upright sound board repair. But to use them on an open hinge or similar
might draw questioning remarks.  "Those aren't regular screws..."

It's a big world, there's more than one way to . . . tune a piano.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com