Water-Base Lacquer

Fri, 7 Jun 2002 05:37:12 -0400

On Fri, 07 Jun 2002 00:58:14 -0400 Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com> writes:
> When using shellac as a sealer, a week or two has to pass before
> topcoating with lacquer or a water-based material.

Hi Jon -

No offense, but I'll have to disagree with this statement.  Using fresh,
dewaxed shellac, spraying two coats of 1 1/2 lb. cut 2 hours apart,
allows topcoating of water-based material in as little as 2 hours (under
ideal temp and humidity), and certainly no more than overnight at the
outside.  This is assuming, of course, that it hasn't been "gobbed" on
thicker than would be prudent.  I have done this routinely over the last
10 years with no problems at all, and know other refinishers following
the same schedule.  Even in the old days, spraying the nitrocellulose
lacquer, I routinely would use shellac as a fish-eye controller, and
found overnight more than adequate.  A quick scuff with a grey pad and
fire away.

Have you actually had problems of compatibility with dewaxed shellac
having cured overnight?

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com