ethical behavior

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:48:45 EDT

pianotuna@accesscomm.ca (Don) writes:

> Ah I see, Piano Tuning is one of the "dark arts", a witches brew that only
> the sacrosanct and initiated have any hope of understanding. These
> "secrets" should be jealously guarded! No need to inform the client of
> anything but the price--and the only reason to do that is because you wish
> to be paid. How silly of me to explain to my clients that their piano may
> sound better in a Historic temperament and offer them a choice.
>
> I've changed the thread title--as this has nada to do with the original
> topic.

It is pertinent to the original topic.  An HT was used and part of that
topic.  It was you who insinuated that Terry was unethical for having not
*fully disclosed* that fact.

I'll say this here and now.  *B. S.!!!*  While I do occasionally talk about
those details, I usually feel it is inappropriate, mostly because of people
like you who have, for the last century, force-fed people the most
inappropriate temperament of all, ET and have proclaimed it to be standard
practice and have attempted to force your ideas on everyone who tunes.

It has been written about in all the books and reference materials as the one
and only way to tune and is taught to people who are learning the profession
as the one and only way.  It is so ingrained in most people's minds that to
even think of the concept of an *unequal temperament* produces a strong, if
not violent reaction.  This fact has to be taken into consideration.
Therefore, "Don't ask, don't tell, just tune" is my usual and best policy.

So, I just don't happen to believe and swallow the big lie the way you do and
refuse to be among the majority who are still suckering out for it and
forcing it upon the public without the full disclosure and explanation that
you are talking about.  Furthermore, my observations over several years now
have shown that most people who tune pianos can't really tune ET anyway and
offer instead, the big mistake that makes a mockery of all of music history's
carefully developed precedents.  Reverse Well has become the standard, not ET.

I have clearly stated that I do not and will not tune ET and most of the time
say nothing about my choice of temperament.  If this is a violation of the
PTG Code of Ethics, then you should file charges against me.  Otherwise, for
you to continue to allege unethical behavior, it will be you, yourself, who
will be subject to accusations of libelous conduct.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin