ethical behavior

Don Rose pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 08:58:44 -0600

Hi Bill,

Yes, he did use an HT without disclosure. Now the client is upset--which he
doesn't want and no rational tuner wants. It is my personal policy to
educate the client and offer them choices. I believe all tuners would be
well served by it. That is all I was offering Terry. You are the one
accusing me of insinuation, due to your own personal insecurity. It is
*not* my piano, my job is to service it to the best of my abilities within
the budget of the client.

Here is a totally *off the wall* example. If the client wishes to use a
silicone spray-on polish on the tuning piano then my business is to make
them aware of the potential for future difficulties. If they choose to
still do it--that is their affair. Terry, by not giving full disclosure of
the process he was using, has put himself in a difficult position.

Bill, please stop quoting "out of context", it is misleading at best.

BTW, I do use HT with those clients who want it.

At 08:48 AM 06/07/2002 EDT, you wrote:
>It is pertinent to the original topic.  An HT was used and part of that
topic.  >It was you who insinuated that Terry was unethical for having not
*fully >disclosed* that fact.

>I'll say this here and now.  *B. S.!!!*  While I do occasionally talk
about >those details, I usually feel it is inappropriate, mostly because of
people >like you who have, for the last century, force-fed people the most
>inappropriate temperament of all, ET and have proclaimed it to be standard
>practice and have attempted to force your ideas on everyone who tunes.

>It has been written about in all the books and reference materials as the
one >and only way to tune and is taught to people who are learning the
profession >as the one and only way.  It is so ingrained in most people's
minds that to >even think of the concept of an *unequal temperament*
produces a strong, if >not violent reaction.  This fact has to be taken
into consideration.  >Therefore, "Don't ask, don't tell, just tune" is my
usual and best policy.

>So, I just don't happen to believe and swallow the big lie the way you do
and >refuse to be among the majority who are still suckering out for it and
forcing >it upon the public without the full disclosure and explanation
that you are >talking about.  Furthermore, my observations over several
years now have shown >that most people who tune pianos can't really tune ET
anyway and offer >instead, the big mistake that makes a mockery of all of
music history's >carefully developed precedents.  Reverse Well has become
the standard, not ET.

I have clearly stated that I do not and will not tune ET and most of the
time say nothing about my choice of temperament.  If this is a violation of
the PTG Code of Ethics, then you should file charges against me.
Otherwise, for you to continue to allege unethical behavior, it will be
you, yourself, who will be subject to accusations of libelous conduct.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin
 Click here: -=w w w . b i l l b r e m m e r . c o m =-

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.