ethical behavior

Charles Neuman piano@charlesneuman.net
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:03:35 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

I suppose if you had to "warn" about the "problems" with HT's, then you'd
also have to say, "I'm tuning your piano in ET. Just so you know, it will
remove any key colors from the piano." Also, you'd have to tell them how
much stretch you plan to use.

If I remember correctly, Jorgensen discusses what piano tuning was like
the days of yore. Apparently "tuning by ear" meant playing intervals one
note after the other note, not both notes together. A good piano tuner
would have memorized how these intervals were supposed to sound.
Obviously, we're more scientific about it today, but there's still the
"art" of it, such that two excellent tuners will have different styles.
Regarding the artistic aspect of tuning, I wouldn't expect full
disclosure. For example, when I buy a ticket to see Pollini play, I don't
need to know ahead of time how fast he's going to play the second
movement. If I don't like it, I'll choose another artist the next time.

Now, if a customer is expecting a non-restrictive temperament and you tune
it in meantone, I guess that's a different story. :)

Charles