ethical behavior

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 07 Jun 2002 13:46:43 -0600

Hi,

I don't believe there are problems with HT's. Just with communication. I
think this is rather like voicing an instrument. Just once I was put in a
position where I had to voice without the clients input. She jumped down my
throat--but later apologized when her students loved how her instrument no
longer hurt their ears and when she could have a greater tonal palet. I
also tuned a second piano in her studio to a mild well temperament, so her
students could be exposed to those possibilities.

At 12:03 PM 6/7/02 -0400, you wrote:
>I suppose if you had to "warn" about the "problems" with HT's, then you'd
>also have to say, "I'm tuning your piano in ET. Just so you know, it will
>remove any key colors from the piano." Also, you'd have to tell them how
>much stretch you plan to use.
>
>If I remember correctly, Jorgensen discusses what piano tuning was like
>the days of yore. Apparently "tuning by ear" meant playing intervals one
>note after the other note, not both notes together. A good piano tuner
>would have memorized how these intervals were supposed to sound.
>Obviously, we're more scientific about it today, but there's still the
>"art" of it, such that two excellent tuners will have different styles.
>Regarding the artistic aspect of tuning, I wouldn't expect full
>disclosure. For example, when I buy a ticket to see Pollini play, I don't
>need to know ahead of time how fast he's going to play the second
>movement. If I don't like it, I'll choose another artist the next time.
>
>Now, if a customer is expecting a non-restrictive temperament and you tune
>it in meantone, I guess that's a different story. :)
>
>Charles

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/