metal weights

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 12:48:59 -0500

In layman's terms titanium is about 30% lighter than stainless steel. I
did a lot of research on titanium vs stainless about 18 months ago. You
might read my article in the June 2001 Journal. I found titanium to be an
excellent medium for a tuning lever shaft, light but rigid enough to turn
even tight pins.

As far as machining steel or titanium, I found a local machinist who was
willing to do the tapering and threading for me. We developed a good
working relationship, and now I don't have to go into a long explanation
about tuning hammers with him every time I appear at his doorstep. He
probably cringes whenever I show up with a dozen titanium bars or so. The
stuff does not machine like steel. It's sort of "slippery" (the best word
I can find) and tends to dull cutting tools rather fast.

Charles Faulk RPT

Manhattan,KS