Adjusting dampers to tray

Fri, 7 Jun 2002 19:55:40 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Wynne" <ptuner@optonline.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 07, 2002 3:04 PM
Subject: Adjusting dampers to tray

> Greeting esteemed colleagues:
>
> I will be reassembling a damper system in an old S&S grand.  It is one of
> those systems that was born without regulating screws on each underlever
> for adjustment to the lift tray.  Is there any efficient way to adjust
them
> so that they all lift in unison with the pedal?  I'm aware of the old
> method using center rail punchings, or something similar, as shims, but
> there must be a better way.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Installing capstans is a standard part of our grand damper tray replacement
process. Indeed, it has now become a standard part of rebuilding any
existing damper tray. If the original tray won't accept capstans it gets
replaced.

I teach this as part of my damper class and have a drawing illustrating most
of what you need to know. For a copy of this drawing send me a
self-addressed, stamped envelope. (It's a CAD drawing and unless you have
the same program it won't do you much good via e.mail.)

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
724 Levee Street