Broken string repair

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 7 Jun 2002 20:30:29 -0700

    Terry, no words of great wisdom here, ( I don't have too many, =
anyway, just more useless witticisms) but, is it really that hard to =
remove the kneeboard, disconnect the pedals, and pull the action?  Oh, =
WAIT! It's a spinet? That changes everything. =20
    I got this neat tool from Pianotek called the " Stringer". It's a =
long tube inside of another tube, with this two hole set-up in the end =
where you can, like, thread the string down to the hitch pin, and like, =
pull it out and still have the strings parallel. Whoa, Dude!  Hey, =
you're getting a Dell!
    ( Just kidding with you Terry, I still have the utmost respect. ) =
BTW, your SAT 3 is doing fine here in Phoenix, although I'm going back =
to the direct interval mode: Damn thing stretches too much on F5, F#5, =
and G5, religiously!

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 5:28 AM
  Subject: Re: Broken string repair

  Sorry, Hazen, no words of wisdom from me, just a related question!

  I serviced an Aeolian spinet yesterday: 7 bass strings and two treble =
strings. The treble strings were both right at the last treble damper - =
so like E6 or so. This puts the hitch pins a few inches above the bottom =
of the wippens and the bridge pins smack dab in the middle of the action =
(height-wise). I used the approach that I was much too talented a piano =
technician that I needed to remove the action just to replace two treble =
strings (although I have used that approach in the past). After about 45 =
minutes of struggling and cussing (quietly) I finally got them both in =
place, but it was no simple feat getting the strings through the bridge =
pins, etc.

  How do other folks approach this task? Remove action? Use really nifty =
techniques that Terry Farrell has no clue of? Scrunch and cuss =
(quietly)?=20

  Thanks.

  Terry Farrell

  P.S. I'm going to visit my girlfriend with the tuning complaint on her =
Whitney spinet this morning.
   =20