Broken string repair

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 00:04:11 -0500

Replaced a string on a Baldwin upright yesterday. Hitch pin was under bass strings. If it was a single string attached to pin, would be much easier, but
having to turn string into up position was a very difficult thing to do. Made a guess as to the spot where bend should be, and was able to get wire to stay on because coil memory wanted to bend towards plate. After threading wire up, I found that pin was loose. Stopped and replaced pin with next size. Had to release tension on wire a couple of times in order to place wire on proper side of bridge pins. Of course this is not the end of problem, as now I tuned strings sharp to try and anticipate stretch. Will wait to hear of results after weekend. Piano in a Church where
someone will surely notice that this particular A# has a wierd unison. Couldn't mute, as it would leave only one string playing. Tuned to octave on sharp side of pure, and left.
One time I found two strings on one hitch pin, with individual termination coils. At the time seemed like a good idea, much easier to get on. Bridge pins seemed to isolate them, and I didn't hear anything wierd. ??????????  Not sure about this idea.

Carl