Jumpy Tuning PIns

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:40:50 -0300

Hi ???,
You could try working the pin, a few times and see if it improves.
When the original pins were removed, were they removed with a power =
drill?
If so the hole may be glazed. It could be glazed if you used a reamer at =
too high a speed, when you reamed.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.
jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Hullfam5@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 3:19 PM
  Subject: Re: Jumpy Tuning PIns

  Regarding the jumpy tuning pins in the piano I'm restringing, I meant =
to say that they are so jumpy that I believe the piano will be very =
difficult to tune.  I read the naptha suggestion in Reblitz.  Almost =
half of the tuning pin holes have the "black" in them but this wasn't =
obvious before the old pins were removed, or I may have backed out on =
the job then.  When I tried the 3/0 instead of 4/0 there is less jumping =
and creaking, but the torque on those is only 80 or a little more.  =
Isn't that too loose to start with? Also, when I tried a new pin (4/0) =
in a hole with no "black" in it, it was jumpy too and did seem too tight =
(torque 160).  I tried tuning pin driving fluid (APSCO) in a couple of =
the holes.  At first it seemed to do the job and eliminate the jumping, =
but a couple of hours later they were almost as jumpy as the others. Any =
ideas would ! be appreciated!=20