Jumpy Tuning PIns

Hullfam5@AOL.COM Hullfam5@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 14:19:01 EDT

Regarding the jumpy tuning pins in the piano I'm restringing, I meant to say
that they are so jumpy that I believe the piano will be very difficult to
tune.  I read the naptha suggestion in Reblitz.  Almost half of the tuning
pin holes have the "black" in them but this wasn't obvious before the old
pins were removed, or I may have backed out on the job then.  When I tried
the 3/0 instead of 4/0 there is less jumping and creaking, but the torque on
those is only 80 or a little more.  Isn't that too loose to start with? Also,
when I tried a new pin (4/0) in a hole with no "black" in it, it was jumpy
too and did seem too tight (torque 160).  I tried tuning pin driving fluid
(APSCO) in a couple of the holes.  At first it seemed to do the job and
eliminate the jumping, but a couple of hours later they were almost as jumpy
as the others. Any ideas would be appreciated!