Jumpy Tuning PIns

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 15:01:54 EDT

In a message dated 6/8/02 6:32:38 PM !!!First Boot!!!, Hullfam5@AOL.COM
writes:

> When I tried the 3/0 instead of 4/0 there is less jumping and creaking, but
> the torque on those is only 80 or a little more.  Isn't that too loose to

Torque should be more than 40, but less than a 100. The amount of torque is
not important, as long as the pin holds. It has been my experience that a
torque of less than 40 will not hold, especially int he winter. You 80 is
approaching the top end of where you want the torque to be. So you could go
even lower.

Unfortunately, if you have already strung the piano, if you remove the 4/0's,
the pin hole will be enlarged, and maybe a 2/0 might be too loose. So you
might have to repin with a 3/0, and let it go at that.

Wim