A different temperament / tuning approach

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sat, 08 Jun 2002 21:43:29 +0200

Hi Mike...

I just got done looking at the graph you created for us. Wow that IS
interesting... gives me a lot to chew on :)

It will be even more interesting when I take this basic tuning and plot out in
HZ the frequencies for partials 1 through 12 (as far as any of them are
useable) and see how they all interelate, and then compare that to the same
kind of thing in RCT. I did this for an article I keep thinking I'll finsish
one of these days useing frequencies printed by Dr Sanderson in a 1973 issue of
the Journal. In that he held the 4:2 octave type at a constant wide 0.3 bps
over a two octave range. What was interesting is what happens to the other
octave types when this is done.

I will include that graph so you can take a look at it.

Grin... this is neat :)

RicB

 Mike and Jane Spalding wrote:

>Ric,
>
>I just finished entering your offsets into Excel, and graphed the results.
> Very interesting to compare the shape of the two curves.  RCT is a gentle
>continuous curve.  TuneLab is two straight lines, making an abrupt change
>of direction at E6.  Seems to say that your tuning made an abrupt change
>of direction an octave-fifth below, say at A4.  ??
>
>I'll e-mail the excel file off-list to anyone that wants it.
>
>Mike Spalding, RPT

Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF
Griegakadamiet UiB