piano refinishing

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 10:18:50 -0400

At 09:38 AM 6/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>Mark,
>         Since this topic is really on a roll (THANKS BRIAN!!!) I would be
> keenly interested in your take on the differences in spraying methods.
> Thanks to any and all who have contributed. I've learned sooo much in
> such a short time. I LOVE THIS LIST!!!
>Greg Newell

One technique is to alter the direction in which you spray for each coat.
Say your first coat was sprayed in a horizontal orientation.
The second coat could be 90 degrees to that. The third coat would be
sprayed on the diagonal with the fourth coat 90 degree to that.

This way you are not developing banding, or thicker ridges from
overlap.  By the same token, your sanding pattern between coats
should follow similar alteration in sanding direction.

With the water based material I have been spraying a 6 to 8" distance coats
nicely.

As an aside, a 'sag' is more likely to develop on a vertical surface if
your spray pattern is horizontal.  A benefit of a water based material
is that the sag can be padded off and a light coat sprayed on top, then
sanding the area smooth is not so laborious.  The material is also
somewhat flexible and a small drip could be removed with a razor blade and
then sanded with a hard block.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.