piano refinishing

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:11:54 -0400

Jon,
         A few quick questions.
                 1) what is banding?
                 2) When you speak of sanding direction you mean block
sanding right? I fail to see how sanding direction would help with a random
orbit sander.
                 3) what do you use to pad the surface if you get a sag?

I've noticed a 6" to 8" spray distance works nicely too. Is it any
different for those poor folks who haven't discovered HVLP yet?

Greg Newell

At 10:18 AM 6/9/2002, you wrote:

>One technique is to alter the direction in which you spray for each coat.
>Say your first coat was sprayed in a horizontal orientation.
>The second coat could be 90 degrees to that. The third coat would be
>sprayed on the diagonal with the fourth coat 90 degree to that.
>
>This way you are not developing banding, or thicker ridges from
>overlap.  By the same token, your sanding pattern between coats
>should follow similar alteration in sanding direction.
>
>With the water based material I have been spraying a 6 to 8" distance
>coats nicely.
>
>As an aside, a 'sag' is more likely to develop on a vertical surface if
>your spray pattern is horizontal.  A benefit of a water based material
>is that the sag can be padded off and a light coat sprayed on top, then
>sanding the area smooth is not so laborious.  The material is also
>somewhat flexible and a small drip could be removed with a razor blade and
>then sanded with a hard block.
>

>Regards,
>
>Jon Page,   piano technician
>Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.