piano refinishing

Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:29:23 -0400

On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 09:38:50 -0400 Greg Newell <gnewell@ameritech.net>
writes:
Mark,
        Since this topic is really on a roll (THANKS BRIAN!!!) I would be
keenly interested in your take on the differences in spraying methods.
Greg Newell

Hi Greg -
        I am mostly referring to the differences in the way the finish
looks as it is applied.  I remember one of the biggest adjustments for me
early on in spraying water-based was knowing what the appropriate amount
of material looked like while still wet on the surface.  The tendency, I
think, is to want to put more on than is necessary, because you are
seeing what initially looks like orange peel, or a finish too sparsely
applied.  This is especially true, of course, if you come from a long
background of spraying solvent-based.  The water-based stuff levels
itself quite differently, coalescing into a level film over several
minutes.  Knowing how much to apply is learned by trial and error, and
doesn't really take that long if your awake.  The solvent-based stuff is
actually a bit more intuitive that way, I think.  More WYSIWYG.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com