piano refinishing

gutlo gutlo@bestweb.net
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 08:24:55 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: <bases-loaded@juno.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 09, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: piano refinishing

> On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:46:13 -0400 Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com> writes:
> > At 10:26 PM 6/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> > >>
> > No so with the material which has been used in our shop for many
> > years. When Dale and Trix stopped by while they were in the area I show
>
> > them a piece which was sprayed and not yet rubbed out. No orange peel
> to speak
> > of.
> >
> > I my experience there is far less running out.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Jon Page,   piano technician
> > Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
> > mailto:jonpage@attbi.com
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Hi Jon -
>
> I am talking no orange peel to speak of, as well, and without rubbing out
> the finish looks great - no visible orange peel of any kind.  However, as
> you know, the real story gets told the minute the paper hits the surface
> for final rub out.  While I have no problem getting level quite easily, I
> still can't picture the water-based competing on absolute levelness off
> the gun with the 50/50 topcoating possible with the solvent based
> lacquers.  No big deal to me, but I'll tell you, even though it was
> nearly 10 years back, I still remember hitting the surface with paper
> after the 50/50 coating and finding no high spots at all.  I have never
> experienced that off the gun with water-based.
>
> While I would never consider going back, I still have to concede that one
> point to the solvent class.
>
> Mark Potter
> bases-loaded@juno.com

Mark,
You could re evaluate that concession after trying PianoLac.  This is the
material Jon and Dale are referring to.  It sprays out with no orange peel.
This is a great labor saver, since it means there's no need to sand
between coats (adhesion is 100%, even if you spray after full cure).
The sealer and black primer don't raise the grain as do most other
waterbornes.  This saves labor for the same reason (less sanding).

Arthur Grudko
StarHawk Labs