piano refinishing

Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:19:12 -0400

On Sun, 09 Jun 2002 08:46:13 -0400 Jon Page <jonpage@attbi.com> writes:
> At 10:26 PM 6/8/2002 -0400, you wrote:
> >>
> No so with the material which has been used in our shop for many
> years. When Dale and Trix stopped by while they were in the area I show

> them a piece which was sprayed and not yet rubbed out. No orange peel
to speak
> of.
>
> I my experience there is far less running out.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page,   piano technician
> Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
> mailto:jonpage@attbi.com
Hi Jon -

I am talking no orange peel to speak of, as well, and without rubbing out
the finish looks great - no visible orange peel of any kind.  However, as
you know, the real story gets told the minute the paper hits the surface
for final rub out.  While I have no problem getting level quite easily, I
still can't picture the water-based competing on absolute levelness off
the gun with the 50/50 topcoating possible with the solvent based
lacquers.  No big deal to me, but I'll tell you, even though it was
nearly 10 years back, I still remember hitting the surface with paper
after the 50/50 coating and finding no high spots at all.  I have never
experienced that off the gun with water-based.

While I would never consider going back, I still have to concede that one
point to the solvent class.

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com