Walter Piano Company Tour

Greg Newell gnewell@ameritech.net
Sun, 09 Jun 2002 14:34:18 -0400

Terry,
         Our chapter also just came back from a tour in New York that was
rather informational. I would love to see the Walter factory again. The
hospitality of Mr. Walter and the ease with which he answered questions and
his entire staff was quite refreshing. This in contrast to Steinway who
would not allow any pictures to be taken and skirted answering quite a few
questions. I personally find the factory tours to be beneficial from a
learning standpoint in that they give me great ideas on how to streamline
my own operations. Regarding the Walter tour I was greatly encouraged to
see how much care went into each step of the manufacture. You can tell that
they are proud of their work. These tours also show different constructions
more easily than inspecting a finished piano because you can see the pieces
as they are added. The first tour I ever took was of the Everett factory in
South Haven Michigan soon after Yamaha took them over. I remember that one
being instrumental in teaching me the basic order of construction. I also
remember the cool idea the Japanese brought to the plant. they feed the
wood chip into the furnace to economize on heating the factory. No Waste! I
believe that i could tour factories many times over and get something new
from them each time. Kind of like revisiting the same old topics on
pianotech forum over and over again. To everyone still wanting to learn I
suggest, go and go again! As many times as you have the opportunity.

Greg Newell