theRe: need more info in the journal

Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:10:11 -0700

I don't think the comments on journal content were directed at anyone
personally.  I think it's perfectly reasonable to issue comments designed to
improve the journal's format and content.  Those issuing comments are,
afterall, the subscribers and readers and I would think that this type of
criticism would be useful.

That being said, I would also like to see more articles in each journal, but
I have no idea what kind of pool the editors have to draw from.  If more
technicians would spend some time sharing their ideas and expertise in
different areas, perhaps the editorial staff would be in a better position
to make long term decisions about the volume of material they can include in
each issue.  Periodic polls on readership interest have been conducted and I
would think the editors must have a fairly good idea about what people would
like to see.  I personally would like to see the journal divided into
various main areas: tuning, voicing, regulating, repairs, design and
construction, etc..   One longer article per issue in each category per
issue, and a shorter article in each of the others.  The longer articles
could rotate around the categories.  For example, I would have liked to have
seen Del Fandrich's article on restoring crown in soundboards in full in
this issue.  Next issue perhaps an article on comparative voicing techniques
between hammers (maybe that's too much for one issue), etc..

I also think that using the list as a source for material has been good and
I would like to see more use of the so called "round table discussions".  I
realize the editing is difficult and time consuming, but I think it can be a
good source of information and make for interesting reading.

But to reiterate, the journal's ability to produce a larger issue will
depend a lot on the amount of quality material they have at their disposal.
Those who want to see more might think about contributing more and/or
encouraging those with something to offer to do the same.

David Love