O.S. Tuning Pins

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 10 Jun 2002 09:27:15 -0700

Wim et al,
Wim, please tell me you don't put different sized pins in a restring/O.S.
pin situation. That really gets me going! There is absolutely NO REASON to
do that. Please tell me you ream for the appropriate sized pins, throughout
the piano. It's really fun to tune one of those with the odd sized pins. I
ran into a piano that had everything from 2/0's to 6/0's. What a joy to
tune! :-(
As for "Jumpy" pins, I have found that Pin Driving Fluid, (Phenolic Resin,
available from your local Paint Factory/Lab), eases this problem. Jumpy pins
are usually caused by HARD pinblock material, not contaminants. Proper
reaming and PDF can make for a nice feel throughout the piano.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)