Why go

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 10:38:04 -0400 (EDT)

   Conventions I've attended have resulted in
increased income. Situations appear where a little
thing solves a problem others were not prepared to
deal with. This has won over some big contracts.
 As I look back, much of my client base was won over,
not on account of basic tuning, but because at some
point I went go above and beyond what they had
experienced somewhere else.

  Success in this business, in my opinion, depends
on developing repeat business that demands you.
These repeat clients are easy tunings, good pianos,
no longer even needing wasted time looking at a map.

   I credit much of the learning to conventions.

   How much is a university degree? How much to
go to college? How much for a trade school?
Personally it took me far to long to get serious.
I'd been spoiled, for it is too easy to get away
with to little in this business. I was struggling
along, and found after my first few conventions,
had improved voicing, regulating, tuning abilities,
was solving more problems for more clients.
Piano owners started knocking my door down.

   When I first passed my tuning test Marshal Hawkins
shook my hand and said, " Now it Begins".

   I honestly did not get it that day.

   Now I do.

                          Cheers
                          Dave Renaud