10 excuses.... a little long...

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 07:00:12 -0700 (PDT)

My heart sank a bit this year when I figured out
that I couldn't come to the convention.  I wanted
to come.  I wanted to see a lot of my friends.  I
wanted to sit in on some really GREAT classes.
But I just couldn't make it happen.

1) I AM interested.

2) It may not cost too much for the average
person, but to me, right now, it's like having an
extra mortgage payment.  And I'm not quite sure
how I'm going to come up with the one I have to
pay.  (You can't get blood out of a turnip.  If
ya ain't got it, ya ain't got it.)

3) It is a fair piece from home.  Far enough that
I need to think about an ADDITIONAL $500 or more
for transportation.  (I already mentioned that
money is tight.  This compounds the situation.)

4) The more I learn, the more I know I don't
know.  And from my experiences at past
conventions, I think I've learned as much
chatting in the hallways as sitting in the
classes.

5) I am busy.  I could make the time, but
somehow, I can't make the time and the money.
Too often, I have one but not the other.  This
year is no exception.

6) I don't consider myself to be particularly
outgoing, but I have a great time.  Find yourself
near a reception table with Ron Nossaman, John
Ross, (I'm told) Jim Bryant, and Conrad
Hoffsommer, you'll be laughing so hard you'll
forget you're shy and not a good mixer.  (I'm
sure there are others, those are just the first
names that came to mind...)

7) Can get away, but don't exactly want to leave
the family behind.  And can't afford to bring
them along, not that they'd be allowed into even
the exhibit hall... without MORE $$$$$$$$$!!!

8-10)...

I have enjoyed the conventions I have attended.
I have learned new things, met new friends, seen
old friends, been honored, been humbled, been
taught, been listened to, been given to, been
able to give, laughed about funny things, cried
about sad things, puzzled over complicated
things, and been reassured that there's much,
much more than just pianos at the PTG convention.

Enough rattling on by me.  I am truly sorry I
won't be able to attend this year.  I had looked
forward to seeing so many of you again.
Hopefully, next year!  (Was sure looking forward
to hearing Laura sing "Peel Me A Grape", too!)
;-)

Best wishes to all,

Brian T.

.