10 excuses....

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:04:24 -0400

Certainly there are conflicts along the way and life gets in the way of some things we want to do - including conventions. But I think this thread is questioning the commitment to the profession of piano techs that have either never been or rarely been to a convention.

I do one or two a year. I wish I could do more.

I look around my local chapter the meeting before the Annual Convention. We have 35 or so members. Obviously quite a few more techs in the area that are not members. Commonly 15 show up for the meetings. I can pick out about four or five techs that I have seen at a convention - state/regional/Annual - in the past 4 years. When the question is asked: "Who is going to Chicago at the end of this month", three hands went up, including mine (all, or course are folks I have seen at conventions before).

I suspect some get into a rut with tuning/servicing/rebuilding, and an interesting and challenging profession becomes little more than a way to pay the bills. The medical and other professions have mandatory continuing education requirements. Not that I think we need to have mandatory requirements, but it does point to the utility of quality continuing industry education.

My wife attends (actually plans them) many medical (mostly oncology-related) conventions. I have attended many NWWA (National Water Well Association) conventions (and related conventions/seminars) in years past. I guarantee you, our PTG conventions are absolutely TOP NOTCH! What a resource. Quite simply no opportunity quite like it. Not going is like operating in a vacuum (IMHO).

I'll stop now. I'm going to go and clean my shop. I know I built a bench and put it in here somewhere..........

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Kurta" <mkurta@adelphia.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 6:55 AM
Subject: Re: 10 excuses....

    Wim:
    These are actual excuses I have heard from others.  Terry is right, why anyone seriously involved in this professional would not take advantage of a great opportunity like a national convention eludes me.  We are fortunate there IS a convention of this caliber for such a small organization, and equally fortunate to even HAVE PTG.  Many occupations larger than ours have no such group.
    Mike