50 watts

Lance Lafargue lancelafargue@bellsouth.net
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 11:29:17 -0500

Matt, couldn't figure out if you sent this listserv or personal.....

If you have a 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 BTU air conditioner at home, the
house will stay at whatever temperature the thermostat is set at.  It
doesn't matter what BTU power you have, as long as the thermostat works.
So, having a 50 watt vs a 25 watt rod only insures that you have the power
needed during very wet conditions (same as BTU A/C).  If the front of the
piano was open and the rod was very close to the board, maybe it could
change, but my understanding is that the crown in a soundboard does not
responded instantly to RH changes.  IMHO it is much more likely that the
strings moved because of the myriad of other possibilities (bridge roll,
response to tension differences, slippage over bearing points, pins not set,
torque in pins, bend in pins, etc, etc).  This is also assuming that the
rod/H-2 were positioned correctly, etc.  But again, I do not believe that
the s.b. would sag that quickly to a RH change.  I have a Steinway D in a
high RH situation and I have 5 rods under the thing (I OK'd that with
Dampp-Chaser) and as long as the H-2 works, all is well.  I have never seen
an H-2 malfunction, and only 2 rods not work in 15 years.  I have hundreds
of pianos out there with these and they are very solid when I go back to
them.  You could get technical info from Dampp-Chaser or others who have
looked at this specific thing, I'm sure.  There is probably an exact # they
can give you on when the s.b. reacts, etc.  I vote some other reason.   But
then again, what do I know, I learned everything I know from Cartoon
Network.
lance
Lance Lafargue
lancelafargue@bellsouth.net