Tight Grommets

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:42:35 EDT

In a message dated 6/12/02 1:00:45 AM !!!First Boot!!!, mjbkspal@execpc.com
writes:

> Tuned an old spinet the other day, which also needed lost motion regulation.
>  But the grommets would not turn on the wire.  As I twisted harder, the
> grommet began to crack and tear.  I stopped before I broke any (first do no
> harm).  Yes, I have a set of replacement grommets, in the big box in the
> van right next to the clip-on elbows.  But 4 hours labor just to get rid of
> a little lost motion seems like a big investment to a spinet-owner.
> Question is, do I have to replace these grommets, or is there some way to
> lubricate them and break them loose from the wire so they can be adjusted
> without self-destructing?  I should also mention that the stamped steel
> forks in the key ends have a fair amount of rust, and the grommets are
> probably well bonded to the forks as well as the wires.  I squirted a
> little Protek on a couple of them, but it didn't appear to help.
>
> Any idea, no matter how wild, would be welcome.
>
> thanks,
>
> Mike Spalding, RPT

Mike

The mice got to another one. The rust, and the hard grommets, are a result of
mice traveling back and forth on the back of the keys.

I don't know any method that will remove the urine, and restore life to the
rubber grommets. Besides not being able to regulate lost motion, soon the
grommets will get so hard that they will begin the clack. And then they will
get so brittle they'll break, just with the motion of the keys being played.

It will take about 4 hours. But the expense is still cheaper than a new
piano. One of the added expense of a "cheap" spinet.

Wim