Tight Grommets

Elian Degen J elian_degen@hotmail.com
Tue, 11 Jun 2002 23:29:09 -0700

Hello Wim

Consider a way out, I used it in several occasions warning the customer =
that is not a full repair but just a temporary adjustment, and he might =
consider a full repair later on, If lost motion is not excessive, you =
can slightly bend the wire a bit and that will compensate for the loss =
motion, always bend towards you, where I used this trick, pianos worked =
fine for a long time.

Elian Degen

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 7:42 PM
  Subject: Re: Tight Grommets

  In a message dated 6/12/02 1:00:45 AM !!!First Boot!!!, =
mjbkspal@execpc.com writes:=20

    Tuned an old spinet the other day, which also needed lost motion =
regulation.  But the grommets would not turn on the wire.  As I twisted =
harder, the grommet began to crack and tear.  I stopped before I broke =
any (first do no harm).  Yes, I have a set of replacement grommets, in =
the big box in the van right next to the clip-on elbows.  But 4 hours =
labor just to get rid of a little lost motion seems like a big =
investment to a spinet-owner.  Question is, do I have to replace these =
grommets, or is there some way to lubricate them and break them loose =
from the wire so they can be adjusted without self-destructing?  I =
should also mention that the stamped steel forks in the key ends have a =
fair amount of rust, and the grommets are probably well bonded to the =
forks as well as the wires.  I squirted a little Protek on a couple ! of =
them, but it didn't appear to help.=20

    Any idea, no matter how wild, would be welcome.=20

    thanks,=20

    Mike Spalding, RPT=20

  Mike=20

  The mice got to another one. The rust, and the hard grommets, are a =
result of mice traveling back and forth on the back of the keys.=20

  I don't know any method that will remove the urine, and restore life =
to the rubber grommets. Besides not being able to regulate lost motion, =
soon the grommets will get so hard that they will begin the clack. And =
then they will get so brittle they'll break, just with the motion of the =
keys being played.=20

  It will take about 4 hours. But the expense is still cheaper than a =
new piano. One of the added expense of a "cheap" spinet.=20

  Wim=20