Practical action geometry question?

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:27:09 -0700 (PDT)

Hi list,

I've been doing some reading, at least what I
could find at my fingertips, on action geometry,
and although I can find a lot of general stuff,
and a lot of theory, specifics aren't quite as
easy.

I've changed out the wippens and
shanks/flanges/knuckles on a well known action.
The new parts are Renner and are the closest I
could get to original dimensions.  However, they
are NOT identical.

The wippens are shorter in length by about 3mm,
the variation appearing to be mostly out at the
jack end of the wippen. When I leave the action
spread at 4 1/2", as was the original, the jack
doesn't have room to clear the knuckle before it
burys itself in the felt stop at the end of the
wippen.

I can't seem to get a picture in my head of the
negative effects of shortening the action spread,
or if I'm doing anything wrong at all.  It's been
drilled into us tech types that the action spread
is sacred and NEVER to be messed with.  Well, I
had to do something, 'cause the way it was, it
wouldn't work, period.

What has seemed to work in this instance is
moving the hammer rail forward about 3mm.
(Another possibility would have been redrilling
the hammer rail to put the flanges a few mm
farther back <towards the back of the keys>). I
just wanted to run it past someone else who might
have seen this stuff before just in case I'm
overlooking a disaster looming on the horizon.

Any insight?

Thanks,

Brian T.

=====