Astin-Weight

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:00:41 -0400

Any others experience this problem?
Have any noticed Astin Weights  with extremely deep key dip (1/2")? Love =
to hear other remarks.
Tom Servinsky
From: John M. Formsma=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:13 AM
  Subject: RE: Astin-Weight

  This is a little off the original topic, but it pertains to =
Astin-Weight pianos. I tuned one of the uprights (I think they called it =
a "Concert Grand Upright"--something like that.) just recently, and it =
was the first one I had tuned aurally.
  =20
  It seemed to have some weird scaling or something different going on =
with the partials. I could get the octaves sounding fine, but the double =
octaves and octave-fifths sounded "off" when single octaves were clearly =
in tune. After futzing with the octave widths, it became evident that =
the best thing to do was simply focus on the octaves and not worry about =
the rest. This I did.
  =20
  There was a lot of falseness throughout--not enough to cause major =
troubles--but it was as if the extra "noise" was there by design. Almost =
like it was designed that way, a different tone than any other piano =
I've encountered before.
  =20
  Regretfully, I did not have enough time to examine the piano as I =
wanted. I did notice there were no back posts, and the bridges were =
quite tall with holes bored through in various places.
  =20
  The overall sound was interesting, like the designers went for the =
biggest sound possible, even if it meant adding extra sound via =
falseness. You could tell the various notes were in tune, but there was =
extra "stuff" going on also.
  =20
  I'd enjoy hearing the perspectives of others who have serviced the =
large Astin-Weight uprights.
  =20
  John M. Formsma
  Blue Mountain, MS=20