Astin-Weight

John M. Formsma jformsma@dixie-net.com
Wed, 12 Jun 2002 23:13:09 -0500

This is a little off the original topic, but it pertains to Astin-Weight
pianos. I tuned one of the uprights (I think they called it a "Concert Grand
Upright"--something like that.) just recently, and it was the first one I
had tuned aurally.

It seemed to have some weird scaling or something different going on with
the partials. I could get the octaves sounding fine, but the double octaves
and octave-fifths sounded "off" when single octaves were clearly in tune.
After futzing with the octave widths, it became evident that the best thing
to do was simply focus on the octaves and not worry about the rest. This I
did.

There was a lot of falseness throughout--not enough to cause major
troubles--but it was as if the extra "noise" was there by design. Almost
like it was designed that way, a different tone than any other piano I've
encountered before.

Regretfully, I did not have enough time to examine the piano as I wanted. I
did notice there were no back posts, and the bridges were quite tall with
holes bored through in various places.

The overall sound was interesting, like the designers went for the biggest
sound possible, even if it meant adding extra sound via falseness. You could
tell the various notes were in tune, but there was extra "stuff" going on
also.

I'd enjoy hearing the perspectives of others who have serviced the large
Astin-Weight uprights.

John M. Formsma
Blue Mountain, MS