Pin Driving Fluid: More info

Thu, 13 Jun 2002 07:29:09 -0700

I just bought a gallon and it costs $15. for the material and $55.00 to =
ship it.  I figure it's a lifetime supply.  I'm using it on a new =
pinblock I just installed and it does make driving the pins much easier =
and when it sets up gives nice feel to the pins.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Erwinspiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: June 13, 2002 6:55 AM
  Subject: Re: Pin Driving Fluid: More info

  In a message dated 6/12/2002 11:02:31 PM Pacific Standard Time, =

    Subj:Pin Driving Fluid: More info=20
    Date:6/12/2002 11:02:31 PM Pacific Standard Time
    From:davidlovepianos@earthlink.net
    Reply-to:pianotech@ptg.org
    To:pianotech@ptg.org
    Sent from the Internet=20

             David=20

            Thanks so much for the research. Trix and I were just =
discussing how to find this product yesterday. I'm hoping it takes some =
strain out of the job so her arm doesn;t suffer as much from swinging =
the hammer.
    In fact we are going (driving) to Oregon in July. I'm guessing =
there's Hazardous material ( penalties) chargeto ship the stuff very =
far. Need a gallon while we're there.
    Thanks---Dale And Trix Erwin
   =20

    For those who followed the PDF thread awhile back and are interested =
in just what it is and how you might get it, the following information =
may be of use and is a supplement to the information already provided by =
Joe Garrett.

    Trefz Pin Driving Fluid is, apparently, a phenolic resin without the =
addition of any of the typical dryers (solvents) added by various =
manufacturers to create their own products.  In other words, it is the =
raw material from which certain types of varnishes are made.  Rodda =
paint in Oregon carries such a product known as 1067-S1.  If you live in =
Oregon or Washington you can buy the product from a Rodda Paint dealer =
for about $15.00 per gallon. =20

    Rodda Paint gets the product from a company called McWhorter =
Technologies, Inc., in Carpentersville, IL 60110, 1-888-CALL-MWT.  It is =
known as H354B, Product code 207 1196, Product Name Duramac 207-1196.

    If you contact McWhorter, you might find out which companies in your =
area purchase the raw material for production and buy it before they add =
their own formula of solvents. =20

    FYI  Schaff still sells Trefz Pin Driving Fluid in 4oz bottles.  =
They do not list it in their catalogue, but it is available upon =
request.

    David Love